St Jean D'Aulps is a quiet town that lies further down the valley below Morzine on the way to Thonon and Lac Leman (Lake Geneva).
The town and ski area are separated from each other by nearly four kilometres and the rest of the Portes du Soleil by quite a bit more. Although the St Jean d'Aulps ski area is included in the Portes du Soleil it isn't actually connected to it by any lifts. La Grande Terche ski area is a separate sector under the shadow of the Roc d'Enfer. It is always quiet here even during the busy high season and, although it is a 20-minute drive from Morzine to La Grande Terche, it is worth making a trip down here once in a while as there is free parking and open, empty slopes.
Few holiday tour operators work out of St Jean as it is quite dislocated from the rest of the Portes du Soleil but it is a popular destination for people who moved out to the mountains long term as property prices here are significantly lower than in Morzine.
More Morzine Insights...
- Morzine Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- When is Morzine opening for the ski season 2020/21?
- Safety measures in Morzine winter 2020/21
- Early-booking discounts on 2020/21 Morzine ski passes
- Travellers welcome to Morzine from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020